Thursday, February 4, 2010

My son the basketball player

We went to McDonalds yesterday to let the kids play for awhile (2 1/2 hours). There is a basketball hoop there and Josh loves to throw the balls in for long periods of time. My mom took them in December and said he must have shot the ball 150 times and got a basket half the time. Josh is a little shorty. He's 6 years old, 44 inches tall and weighs 37 pounds. This is a regular sized hoop. So today he had a cheering section. This adorable couple (probably in their 70's with matching white hair) and the adults and kids with them all cheered every time Josh got a basket and were saying "Ohhhhh, so close!" when he missed. When I walked past, the lady stopped me and said "Your son has a real gift! He is amazing! He has an extraordinary future ahead of him. I told him that when he is in Junior High and High School to make sure that he plays basketball." There was more praise. Who knows, maybe we have another John Stockton on our hands. I told her I've wanted to get a hoop in the backyard and she said "Oh, do it! Do it!" We have RV parking on the side of our house and no RV (or boat, darnit) to take up the space. I've wanted to get a real basket put in since we moved in 3 1/2 years ago. I think I'll look for hoops tonight and start digging a hole tomorrow :) It is so nice to hear people cheering your kid on! All the praise made me feel so good. Parents must love going to games and hearing other people cheer their kids on. Ooh, gotta go sign Josh up for soccer. He said he wanted to play, so maybe he'll actually go this year!

1 comment:

JillC said...

Camille did so much better in here 2nd year of soccer. She said it was because that year she kept her eyes opened when the ball came to her!