Thursday, December 9, 2010

Last night

Last night I went and got my hair and makeup done at the school and my mom came to watch the kids and Brad and I went to his company Christmas party. It was a nice dinner at a nice place in South Jordan and then we had a white elephant gift exchange. It was fun. Brad got a Snap on knife and flashlight set so he was pretty happy about that! He loves knives. Then we had some time so we went to see 127 Hours. I hear some stories and become fascinated by them. This happened in May 2003, so right in between Bahrain and Scotland. I remember hearing about it, but didn't think about it much. Then the movie came out and I've totally been looking stuff up on the internet and was just fascinated and really wanted to see the movie. So we finally went and saw it and it lived up to my expectations. It answered a lot of the questions I had. I think they could have added his family members side of things. That would have been interesting, too. It is so amazing what our bodies can handle. And sometimes they just give out for no reason. So this guy, Aron Ralston, his arm got stuck by a boulder. He was stuck out there for 5 days with hardly any food or water. He chipped away at the rock to try to get his arm out, but that wasn't working. Finally he broke his arm and cut it off with a dull pocket knife. Then he still had to climb out of the slot canyon and walk for 8 miles before he found someone. That's just crazy! I wonder if I would do the same thing. Honestly, if I didn't have kids I don't think I would. But if I had my kids, who really rely on me and need me, then maybe I would do it. Me and Brad really are the center of their universe and I think they'd be kinda messed up if that changed while they are so young and innocent and need me. I just don't know. I tend to like to take the easy way out. I can't stand constant pain. But I think I would try it for my kids, but if they weren't around, I probably would just die there. Anyway.......my mom is really good at doing projects with the kids and teaching them new things when she watches them. She really spends quality learning time with them instead of just sitting there while they play. She's taught them how to do housework and cook and all of that. Last time she came, she taught the kids about the world. She taught them how to say "Hello" in different languages. I don't know the spellings, but my kids now know that Chinese is "Nee-how", French is "bonjour", German is "Gutentag", Spanish is "Hola" and they learned Scottish is "Gooday mate." We corrected them so now they know that's Australia. So the project for the night was to make cookies and frost them and take them to the neighbors. So they frosted the cookies and took some next door. The kids sang Jingle Bells. Then they went to the assisted living place across the street. Kaytlynn said "You know, we went to your paycheck." I always say I need to go across the street and get my paycheck, so I guess Kaytlynn thinks that is what that place is called. They talked with a couple of the grandmas over there. There are actually some great great grandmas over there. Crazy! So I thought that was cute what my mom did. When we came home Elijah was sleeping on the couch with Kaytlynns dress up tinker bell skirt on. That kid LOVES dressing up. I thought about buying him a bunch of dress up clothes for Christmas, but no, I won't. I saved this post, so last night was Josh's 1st grade program. He did a dancing part. He danced to "Sail Away" by Enya. I would have expected him to just kind of shuffle around, but he actually danced and didn't stop the whole time he was up there. So proud. It was cute. Connor wanted to take pictures, so I told him he could walk up a little further and get some pictures. He came back and showed me what he took. There was one of Josh's nose and a whole bunch really close up. Nice! I'll have to have Connor be the cameraman again because for some reason I don't think I could get away with that.

1 comment:

CamiKay said...

It's so nice that Mom is there and doing such fun activities with them =) Josh is adorable in the video.